Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Thimble of My Love: or Hello from the newest Bee!

“Surely you know what a kiss is?” [Wendy] asked, aghast.
"I shall know when you give it to me," [Peter] replied stiffly, and not to hurt his feelings she gave him a thimble.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "If you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand, so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on the chain around her neck…
… "Oh dear," said the nice Wendy, "I don't mean a kiss, I mean a thimble."
"What's that?"
"It's like this." She kissed him.
"Funny!" said Peter gravely…”
{Peter Pan, James M. Barrie source}

Oh! Hello Hive! I didn’t see you there. ::looks up from book, casual hair flip::

You see, I was autopilot checking my personal email on a dragging Friday afternoon at work, prepared to silently curse the innocent new message in my inbox for not being news about my application to blog for Weddingbee, when all at once I lost my cool, stood up at my desk, raised both hands in the air and said “Wait. Wait. Can somebody read this and tell me this really happened!!??!” Pengy completely snuck up on me! I spent the weekend over-analyzing my Bee character choice- a decision NOT to be made lightly. I polled friends, family and strangers- and subsequently had to explain the context and reveal my bridal crazy.

I picked Thimble because A) I’m quick to get my fingers into projects before thinking them through. B) I spent all my non-acting time working on my theatre degree in the costume shop, and I found that design and textiles are my second love. C) I mean, the moniker is so bitty and cute!! And finally, D) There was the Peter Pan reference and I was sold. I should admit, that scene above reads rather similarly to my first date with Mr. Thimble in our senior year of high school... {ehem, I exaggerate, of course!}

Then {senior prom} and Now {our corner in Queens- photo by Duane Tollison}

Mr. T (hehe!) and I join the ranks of Weddingbee’s long-termers and high school sweethearts. We stuck it out through our college years at separate schools; we moved across the country together, twice; supported each other through law school (him) and the acting industry (me), and now we’ll be moving back somewhere near our hometown in pursuit of more balanced, happy healthy lives while planning our whimsical, harvest-y country-suburbs of Philadelphia {interfaith} wedding.  Oh! And I should mention I love me a run-on sentence.

I can’t be(e)lieve I’m writing this post, introducing my lil’ ole’ self to the entire vibrant, buzzing community of the ‘Bee!! I am honored and humbled and, of course, crazy excited!!! to tumble in to this new wedding adventure just over 4 months from the big day.

My goodness- Thank you for having me!! I look forward to sharing our progress and future adventures with you all, and I can’t wait to read all of your thoughts, ideas and inspirations too! 

Can anyone offer up more "thimble" puns? I've really only got the one.